August 04, 2009

The Silver Lining


"Sky Sonata IV", 10" x 10", oil on linen, Lydia Johnston


What a productive time I have had for the past three weeks. Once I was able to get back to my studio, I have been having the most fantastic time, that's the silver lining to the accident and not being able to paint for four weeks. Obviously all kinds of ideas were percolating in me during that time of healing. Everything coalesced, and I feel like I have been turning out my best paintings ever.

I have been working at a manic rate, in part as a response after my forced leave and partly because Tom, my partner has been out of town. There have been no distractions, just me and my painting. Now it’s time for me to slow down and catch my breath. I seem to be back to my old pace. Slowly working through a new painting, Applying the first layer, processing it, continuing a few days later once the first layer is dry. I miss the euphoria of the first few days back in my studio, but I knew I couldn’t sustain that pace. Coming up with new ideas and processing them takes time.

No comments: