February 07, 2009

Painting Titles

It's been a while since I posted new work. In part, I don't like putting up new paintings until they have a title, and I haven't been coming up with titles for my new work.

I always feel a title is important, it gives a connection to the piece, it's something to hold onto, a bridge to the viewer. I never like it when I see artwork labeled "Untitled". In addition, I need a way to keep track mentally of my paintings. I do have a numbering system for them, but if I am referencing one, I want a named title.


"____", 20" x 30", oil on canvas, Lydia Johnston

So I am posting here one of my recent paintings, even though it is as yet, untitled. Please feel free to send in any title suggestions. Maybe someone else will come up with a good one before I do.

No comments: