March 01, 2008

Layers of an Oil Painting


"Meadow Flowers", 24" x 30", oil on canvas, Lydia Johnston

This painting was finally completed this past week. It was actually begun more than a year ago, started as pink and purple flowers with scratched in marks for some of the foliage. It was then set aside. The next major layer placed red blooms over the pink and purple, the background going in as fairly neutral yellow, golden and green colors. Each time a new layer goes over, parts from the previous one are left peeking through. I love the depth and richness this adds to my oil paintings.

In its final state this reads as mostly a yellow to orange/red piece, but when viewed up close there are purples and blues and greens showing through that add such a complexity and interest to the painting.


"Meadow flowers", detail

I haven't often used a shaper to scratch marks into the wet oils, but I always like experimenting with new techniques. I loved how those marks continued to show up with each successive layer of oil paint. They add such an extra dimension that can really only be seen in person.

I like to use thick paint in some areas so that you can see the brush strokes. I know one artist who uses thinned oils and strives to keep the surface totally smooth and even. I feel just the opposite. I want to see my brush strokes and marks. For me, I get a sense of the energy that went into making the painting when I can see the swirling brush strokes, the dabs and the slashes.

No comments: